Carol's Dragon Fly Ranch home of Carol's Pond

March 7, 2021


Hopefully hibernation season is over. It appears that spring has sprung. There were a lot of daffodils blooming in the side ditch but a hard rain beat about all of the blooms off the stems. But more popped up, including the ones in Carol's yard. Also there are tiny white flowers and some blue and purple ones as well and of course my favorite, dandelions.


During that cold snap, Carol's Pond froze over and that is not acceptable at all. Mother Nature are you listening? There were several ducks that stuck around most of the winter, but I have not seen them today. They were very fast swimmers, fast enough to create a good wake behind them. I dubbed them the Shore Patrol. Those of you that were in the military know what the shore patrol is. For those that weren't, it is Naval Military Police. There has also been a darter around this spring. A darter is a type of cormorant and its feathers are not water proof. When it first gets out of the water it can not fly. It must dry off first. The darters have been trying to claim the turtles log, but I do not think the turtles will permit that. As far as other birds, I have seen a lot of robins, several blue jays and cardinals as well as mocking birds.


Speaking of mocking birds, when I moved to O'Fallon, MO in 1973 I rented a mobile home. The mocking birds liked to sit on the power lines behind the trailer. They would start up about 0415. Some mornings they would sing beautiful songs and other mornings they would squawk and bitch and just raise hell. I got to bed about 0415 one morning and just as I laid down, it started up. I decided that if it was going to be nasty that it would die, suddenly and violently. But that morning it did a beautiful job of singing me to sleep. They are pretty and have an amazing repertoire.


I did get a lot of reading done during the cold snap. I read at least one book a day, sometimes 2 and occasionally 3. I just turn on the gas fireplace, get my blanket, snuggle down and read. I really enjoy my Kindle. I have not had my TV on in over a year. I canceled the Dish network and unplugged the TV. I am too far from Dallas, Houston or Shreveport to pick up free over the air stations even with an antennae.


Later

Rex


 

Comments

  1. I was wondering if you were in the middle of all that snow and cold. Luckily all the birds are still hanging out there. Surprisingly I only have two hummers and very few quail. This is usually the time they sing ... but not this year. Oh the mocking birds ... they can be a pain. You (or maybe HE) was lucky he sang you to sleep. You are right, they sure can squawk up a storm!! Good to hear from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure love reading about Carol's Pond. You describe things so beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still doing well? We just gad 18 in he's of snow. It is so heavy that it is hard to shovel. I think this is the first time we have ever closed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine and the temperature is supposed to be close to 80 today. Time to sell out, move out of that libtard state and come south.

      Delete
    2. So glad you are well. Some day maybe we will get south

      Delete
    3. Hey my autistic brother Gene just passed last night. He called me yesterday and he sounded so good. Wr were planning on meeting up..

      Delete
    4. I am very sorry for your loss. Please let me know if I may help in any way.

      Delete
    5. please send me an email to rjs0612@gmail.com

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog