June 16, Durango

 

June 16, 2021


Today was a very short driving day. It was only about 150 miles from Farmington, NM to Durango, CO. I tried to call the train station this morning to make reservations and could not get a live human on the phone. The clown that invented automated answering machines systems had to be one sadistic jerk.


But I walked in the depot and luckily someone had canceled and I was able to get a ticket. I will be on the train that is being pulled by a steam locomotive. To ride a steam train has been a dream of mine for many years. We tried in Alaska but they were doing the diesel that day. Ticked me off, which is easy to do.


Like Virginia City, NV, Durango, CO is a tourist trap. However, I had been looking for new moccasins and found a pair made in Canada. The others I had seen were made in the Dominican Republic. At least Canada is an ally. My old ones were purchased in Mt. Home, Idaho in 1968. But sadly my feet have grown and I can no longer wear them.


I will post pictures some time next week. I want to use a tower rather than my laptop. The tower has more power.




Comments

  1. That is probably my all time favorite train ride. I'm so glad you got to ride it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it and would do it again, but I would want to be farther away from the engine.

      Delete
  2. Just awesome. I love motion of the train. When I was little we rode trains cause my dad worked for railroad till I was about 5. There used to be a train out of Larime to Centennial, Wyoming. A day trip but lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a previous western trip we camped above Centennial, WY. It was 38 in the cab of the truck the next morning. We went into Cheyenne and bought supplies. On our way north to Mt. Rushmore, it was 110 in the cab of the truck and 3 of us drank a case of soda and did not have to make any potty stops!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog