Carol's Dragon Fly Ranch

Home of Carol's Pond


July 2, 2022


I would like to thank Jerry Mundell for his donation, in Carol's name to the Lebanon Elk's Lodge Major Project which is cancer research. Today July 2, is mine and Carol's anniversary. The Elk's do not keep any of the donations. If the state receives $100,000 in donations, 2 checks are cut and hand delivered to the heads of the research departments at IU and Purdue.


This week found the California Kid, aka Jerry Mundell staying with me for a couple of days. It was a very enjoyable visit. On Thursday, the 30th we went to Greenville, TX to visit the Audie Murphy Museum. It is a humbling experience. I would go again and I think Jerry would too.


But while Jerry was here, Samantha Jane, Sam and Sam Jr. chose to hide. I don't know if they are bashful or afraid of Jerry. They might have thought that Jerry would take them to California. But I don't think he would do that.


I finally managed to get the speakers hooked to the computer. The computer has a super audio card in it and I now have 6 speakers hooked to it. While most computers have 3 ports for audio, the one I listen to music on has 6 and the monitor also has a pair of speakers. I want to try and get a bluetooth speaker for better separation. The computer will run Windows 7 or Linux Ubuntu. All of the speakers work great when I boot up Ubuntu but only 2 will work when I boot up Windows 7. In my opinion, Windows 7 is good, but Linux Ubuntu is much more powerful and easier to work with. Bill Gates and Microsoft will not make any more money from me.


One of the things I do to keep busy is to rebuild old computers. I may take 2 or 3 or 4 and cannibalize parts to make one good one. If they have Windows 7 on them I leave it. But if they have XP or Windows 8 to 11, I delete the operating system and install Ubuntu. As my Windows systems fail, they will be replaced with Ubuntu. When a system is complete I try and find a family with school age children that can not afford a computer and I donate it to them.


Now that the new porch roof on the shop is done, I am in the process of hanging a 1X4 LED light in the shop. I was doing that this morning when it got too warm. I will finish it tomorrow morning. In the process, I am removing a fluorescent fixture. I despise fluorescent lights. And in this process I am cleaning out and reorganizing the shop which it desperately needs.


But once again, a big thank you to Jerry Mundell.


Later,

Rex





Comments

  1. What a great way to remember Carol. Yup the Elks do good things. And apparently you do too, fixing up computers and donating them to kids. Computer work is way too frustrating for me. Kudos to you!!! At the County where I worked, the techs were all about Linux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the computer world for many years. The USAF was where I got started. But I hated every minute of it. But I had the math ability and the accounting background. Sperry educated me on Linux. Back then in the mid 80's it was called Unix and was very primitive. But it has evolved into an easy to use and powerful operating system. And it is FREE. They do accept donations.

      Delete
  2. I was certainly happy when Jerry said he visited you. Audie's museum certainly sounds like an awesome place to visit. Always enjoy reading about people like them. It is pretty darn warm in Oklahoma. I think this year is the 1st time I have been this warm. Getting closer to living down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing your stories. Miss talking to you. Can you send your email address to me? Mine is pajackson195@gmail.com. please continue to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog