Carol's Dragon Fly Ranch home of Carol's Pond

February 15, 2021


Happy Valentines Day


Mother Nature has played a cruel joke on much of the nation. This cold and snow is not acceptable. However what is worse than the cold and snow is the fact that it chased off the Shore Patrol. The Shore Patrol was a flock of Bufflehead ducks that had been cruising and patrolling Carol's Pond for about 2 months now. They are very pretty and extremely fast swimmers. They leave a long wake behind them.

Whitey has not been here nor has Blue Boy. But I have seen several robins and blue jays. The turtles were still playing king of the log until the cold weather hit and now they are enjoying the big sleep. I often wonder if death is like being sound asleep.


And I have pets again. Miserable things. The current one is a dog, complete with a collar that runs around on my bedroom ceiling when I first wake up. But there was also a whale that reminded me of the one in Moby Dick. While all of the other pets have moved from left to right, the whale was moving right to left and the dog goes in circles. The dog looks viscous but thankfully, I have not heard it bark or growl.


The cataract surgery in January was very successful. I can now see to drive at night again and the doctor said that because of the vision in my left eye I no longer have to have glasses to drive. But I will continue to wear them. I want to give special thanks to Lorna Bailey, my cousin, for traveling from Alabama to Carol's Pond to put the drops in my eyes following surgery. Because of tremors, it is very difficult for me to do this. On the trip to Tyler for the surgery, it snowed. People here have no idea how to drive on snow or slick roads. They prefer to run in the left lane with their emergency flashers on and drive 20 mph. And they get stuck on hills because they do not start up it fast enough to get to the top. In MO on Laura Hill Road, there was a gully and it was steep. The road was 2 lanes. People took turns one at a time, one north bound and then when he made it up, the south bound would take off. One had to be running right at 80 MPH to get up the far side. Otherwise the road was closed until they got you towed out. That was exciting. But here I do not have to get out and I won't. This time next week it is supposed to be near 60. I think I will hibernate.


Later

Rex


Comments

  1. Hopefully this cold snap goes away. I do better in warm also. I love your stories. You stay warm and take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what made Mother Nature mad, but I hope for everyone's sake who lives your direction, she lets up a bit. I'd stay home too if I had to drive that steep hill!! Glad you can see to drive again, but I'd stay out of the snow part!! I'm with you on hibernation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. I keep a good supply of food on hand. I don't have to go out until next week and that is to go get my new glasses.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog