June 17, 2021


Today was a day of accomplishments. The major accomplishment was riding a train pulled by a steam driven locomotive. That is something that I had wanted to do for years and years. I have ridden modern diesel electric trains from Indiana to California and again from Indiana to Seattle to Los Angeles and then back to Indy. Sadly this train was fueled with fuel oil. It was a full size boiler on a narrow gauge frame. The train was delayed about 30 minutes so we got a late start. We stopped 4 times for water and to oil the engine on the way up and 3 times on the way back. The scenery was magnificent. However, Silverton is a tourist trap. They cut into our lunch time so I just had an order of french fries and a sweet tea for $10. I did not have time to finish either one, because time was against me. On the way to the restaurant, I saw a shop I wanted to go to. There I found the wallet and check book cover I have been looking for.


They turn the train around so that on the way back you are sitting on the opposite side of the one you were on, on the way up. I was on the right side going to Silverton and thus the right side on the way back. Sounds goofy until you realize they turned the whole train around using 2 engines and a 3 point turn.


The couple next to me were from Galveston, TX and they spotted a deer on the way back. Two gentlemen showed the whole train 2 full moons at the same time. And the Galveston couple were flashed by a young lady as we were coming into Durango. Sadly I was looking out the other side.


But it was a good trip, but I smelled like diesel fuel when we got back. Would I ride it again. YES!

All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Anty, Brownie and Gertrude helped a lot. Since I have been home I have not seen Sammy or Samantha. Stalker may have eaten them. I saw Whitey over by Lubbock.


On the way from Trinidad, CO, I saw a lot of new country. There are some beautiful mountains in that area of CO. Some of the higher ones still have snow on them. But for the most part it is very dry. One of the couples on the train lived in Durango and a forest fire got to within about a mile and half of their home. They had been told to prepare to evacuate.


From Trinidad, CO I headed to Lubbock, TX. Sadly I did not get there in time to see Rose's Grandson's Farmers Market. I would like to have seen it. That night Rose and I had a nice visit.


In Trinidad, I witnessed discrimination, pure, plain and ugly. A group of motorcycle riders who happened to have dark skin, were told that the place was sold out, but there were no cars in the parking lot. I could not even get anyone to come to the front desk. I did see a man cleaning a room. They told a woman with the bikers that they were closed for remodeling. If that is true, why was a guy cleaning a room? So we all went to the next motel and they were very happy to see us. I talked with the female again and we both agreed they had been discriminated against and I volunteered to join them in a suit, but we could not figure out how to prove it. Ticks me off 5 days later.


According to the odometer I drove 4,860 miles and my butt has talked to me about that. It was a great trip but I did not get to explore Arizona and New Mexico the way I wanted. Their roads are so rough they just beat the truck to death along with the driver.

Would I do the same trip again. YES!

I will post the pictures I took when I figure out how to.

 

 



Comments

  1. The Silverton is probably my most favorite train ride ever. I'm so glad you got to ride it. Yes they do take advantage with the prices. I remember that from the old days. Oil fueled is actually better than coal. When I rode, we were spitting out coal dust for days!

    Sorry to hear about the motorcycles. A few bad eggs have made it bad for everyone. Rarely will they rent to motorcycle groups because they tend to put their rides IN the hotel room. The secret is to park far away and let the girls go rent the rooms. We had to do that several times. Fooled them we did.

    Can't wait to see your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The folks on the bikes were very polite, several of them were pulling trailers. One trailer was made to look like a small car and it was painted purple to match the bike. I think the people at the Travelodge were paranoid. I talked to about all of the bikers. There was only one woman with them that I saw. All seemed like very nice people.

      Delete
    2. There is a new post on Carol's Pond. It is long and I suggest a computer rather than a phone.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing with us. Unbelievable about the bikers. Most people are really nice, just talk to them. Good to hear you made it home safely

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog