June 5, 2021



Day 3 finds me in Sidney, Nebraska. This morning before I left Dodge City, KS I took some pictures of a Baldwin Steam Locomotive. If I can figure out how to post them, I will. The locomotive was built in 1903 so it is an oil burner rather than coal or wood. Looking at the cab, it was primitive. There were steam radiators on the floor under the 3 chairs which were all solid metal with out any pads. Ouch.


Somewhere in western Kansas I saw a hawk. It was marked similar to a Bald Eagle. But it was not big enough and the head was dark, but the last couple inches of the tail were white or very light colored.


BTW, skunks smell good compared to the cattle feeding lots I passed. Fresh country air is anything but.


Sidney has a contingent of Canada Geese. We do not have them in TX and that is okay but I miss watching them raise their young.


In checking the range of the pronghorn antelope, I am not sure that was an antelope yesterday. I could not see the whole animal but I did not see any horns or antlers. The females have small antlers.


Western Kansas is densely populated compared to western OK. I was interesting watching the land change, from beautiful ranches and farms to almost semi arid soil. There was a lot of sage brush the farther north I got.



Comments

  1. Well speaking for my cowgirl self, I would much rather smell cattle than skunks! LOLOLOL
    Breathe through your mouth ... it works every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have probably already guessed it. I am just a little weird. I like the odor of skunk if it is not too strong. That cow manure was very strong and the wind was not helping at all. It was a big lot and the smell lasted for several miles.

      Delete
  2. Been to Sidney many times. I lived in Kimball, Nebraska twice. I started 1st grade there and moved to Colorado when I was in 3rd grade. Moved back to Kimball in 8th grade and married Curtis there and in August of 66 moved to Lebanon for my senior year. You have a safe trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potter. Nebraska has a story about maybe it was an ammo depot in world War 2.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog