Carol's Dragon Fly Ranch

Home of Carol's Pond


May 16, 2022


The Beginning


On May 16, 1964 I was on my way home from the The Lebanon Reporter on my bicycle. I was north bound on Lebanon St. That is a down hill run and I was late and was moving right along. At the intersection of Lebanon and West North St. an elderly lady in a 64 Corvair made a left hand turn and hit me broadside. The bicycle will mold to the front end of a 64 Corvair as though it was part of the bumper. Or an early model brush guard. This was about 11:00 a.m. Saturday morning. It was Wednesday before I knew who I was and where I was. This altercation lacked 1 day of being 38 years before my head on with the Mack truck on May 15, 2002.


While still in the hospital, my friend Gene Voorhies and his sister Janet would come to visit. Gene would come and see me and Janet would go and visit Carol. Carol was in for test to see if she had osteogenic sarcoma, bone cancer. While I was still in the hospital, Carol was transferred to Sloan Kettering hospital in New York for surgery. Carol and I had not actually met at this time.


Later that summer, Carol was back home and she and her friends came to the Avon Theater. Gene and I both worked at the Avon. Gene must have brought them early and seated them in the balcony. I did not know anyone was up there. The movie was finally over and I was cleaning the popcorn machine and I heard voices in the stairwell. I looked around the corner and saw Carol and her friends. Cupid did not miss me, I think every arrow nailed me. It was wonderful then and still is today.


Later,

Rex




 

Comments

  1. I love that story of you and Carol. That waa a real love story. I didn't know her but she was in my class and remember seeing her. My heart broke that day when they explained why she wasn't in school anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory. Timing is everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember you being hit by a car in 1964. Damn. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed the last 2 weeks of school our Sophomore year. The teachers were not allowed to cut my grades from the previous 6 months and the only test I had to take was the driver's ed written test. For that they put me in an empty classroom and left and told me to take all the time I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog