Carol's Pond

May 2, 2022


It has been very entertaining around the pond recently. Blue Boy the Great Blue Heron has decided that he likes to perch on the turtles log. I am not sure the turtles approve. But at least he does not stay long. And speaking of turtles, I saw one going across the yard heading for the pond. I don't know if it was a traveler just stopping in or if it had been searching for a nesting site. I have not found a nest. I figured they would nest on Goat Island, but I have never seen any signs of it.


Samantha Jane the green lizard, had been acting up. She parades up and down the railings on the deck, expanding her throat to a nice red color. She is trying her best to get Sam to snuggle with her. Sam Jr. hides most of the time.


But today, I became a great Grand Father, sort of. I was heading into town to get something from the grocery and noticed 5 or 6 buzzards around one of my neighbors cows. It was obvious she was having a difficult birth. The buzzards would have killed the calf and maybe the Mother too. So I called my neighbor and he came home and chased the buzzards off. But that was not enough. He had to get a rope around the front hooves of the calf and physically pull the calf out. It took he and his wife both pulling to get the trick done. But at last report Mother and Baby Rex were doing fine. That's right they named the calf after me. I had read about this, but it is the first time I have ever seen it done.


We have finally received several nice rains but Carol's Pond is still a foot to 18 inches low. But at least Goat Peninsula is gone and Goat Island is back!




 

Comments

  1. I have been thinking of you and hoping you are still doing well. You had some classmates asking about you. I hope they were able to talk to you. Oklahoma has sure been wet. Colorado has been really dry and we have have some rain today. I need to get your mailing address again. Later. Lettie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing because there's someone else out there that talks about the wild critters they have named!! Congrats on the new family member Rex. It's a good thing you called because he could have lost both. Many times we had to pull calves on the ranch, mostly using horses and OUCH ... once the jeep. All survived!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. last I heard Mother and Calf were fine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog