September 6, 2022


Carol's Dragonfly Ranch

Home of Carol's Pond


It was a very enjoyable weekend. My niece paid her first visit to Carol's Pond. I think she found a new home in the atrium. Every time I turned around, she was either looking out the windows at the Turtle Log or was in a chair reading. We wanted to go to the Audie Murphy Museum at Greenfield, Texas but it was closed for the weekend. Jerry Mundell and I went through this museum a couple of months ago. It was very interesting and I would go again. It is at exit 90 on Interstate 30. But we had a good time and she helped me go through some of the pictures I have.


Sadly Goat Island is still Goat Peninsula. I want the island back but Mother Nature is being contrary. And speaking of Goat Island, Whitey the great white egret likes to fish from it. But I think Whitey and his wife may have had a falling out. Twice last week he went to roost on the Turtle Log. He was still there after sunset. I know why she kicked him out, he has been fishing in my neighbors pond and that is where my neighbors cattle go to drink and bathe. I don't blame her, I would throw him out to if came home smelling like cow manure.


I finished mowing the back yard last night and I may have found some hog damage. They can really tear up a yard. I may have to bring in some dirt and drag the yard to fill in the ruts. I saw a guy in Quitman Texas a few months ago and he had a feral sow in a hog trap. She was not friendly at all. As I approached the trap she charged the side. It must have hurt because she stopped. I asked him what he was going to do with her. He said there was a plant in Emory, TX that would process it and ship the meat to Vietnam. I hope the meat is rotten when it gets there. And while mowing I saw a lot of armadillo damage. They are as bad as hogs and can carry leprosy. I also found a new den for the miserable things. The trap will go up this afternoon.


I am fairly certain that today is my parents Wedding Anniversary. And I think it would be their 85th. I had dates that did not last 85 minutes let alone 85 years. Amazing.



Later,

Rex



Comments

  1. We just saw an armadillo at the Oklahoma house for 1st time this year. I didn't know they carry Leprosy. I understand they are very mean. We have a family of foxes and occasionally some deer will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have as many critters as I do, but mine don't tear up the territory. Even the javelinas don't dig much here. It's nice of you to provide digging and scratching acreage for them! LOL. Let us know if the trap works!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read. Are you going to make it to the reunion on the 17th?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog